Coastal Lily Raffle Quilt of NWA

Here it is all done and off the frame.

This quilt will be raffled off at the NWA Q.U.I.L.T. Show on April 5 & 6 of 2019. Come to the quilt show and buy some tickets you could have this quilt laying on your bed. Tickets should be available for purchase at the April Meeting (next month). 


The Raffle Team included Natalie McCroy, Elizabeth Ray and Myself. We met up and decided on a pattern and fabric. Then cut the fabric and separated flowers and 4 piece flying geese units. These units were bagged and handed out to the members of  NWA Q.U.I.L.T. Guild.

Once all the units had been sewn together our team met again to determine the color layout of the flowers.

We took 2 rows each and pieced them together, borders were added and we had a quilt top. I loved working with these ladies. It was so amazing how we all had the same vison and we worked so well together making sure that this vison came through in the quilt. ❤


Husbands of Quilters
Fabric:
Alison Glass and True Blue by Zen Chic
Thread:
So Fine 50 Superior Threads #504
Batting:
Quilters Dream Wool, 1 layer
Quilt Top Size
90 x 107
Tools:
Purple Disappearing Marker
Longarm Rulers - Below
Drafting Ruler 1" x 12" also seen below

Since this was such a big quilt that was going to be raffled off , I wanted to try out a few different designs on a Sample Quilt ↓ before I quilted the real one. This approach did help. I was able to play around with many different designs.

Sample Quilt 

Now it was time for the real thing!!!
First I basted the whole quilt, on the frame. 


Also while quilting this quilt I made 10 short videos on the quilting process.
You can find them on YouTube at 

Where I find Inspiration:

One of my favorite quilters is Judi Madsen she is an Amazing quilter.
She has 3 online classes at iquilt.
Check her out she is the Rock Star of Secondary Designs.

These are a few of the rulers I used for Stitching In the Ditch.


Once I decided on the quilting pattern I made a cheat sheet to help with all the different widths of lines.
The lines are 1/2", 1/4" then 3/4". These lines made squares that extended out and then repeated all throughout the quilt, even into the borders


Where the tops of the flowers come together, in-between the 3/4" lines are straight  horizontal lines,
Seen Below



and Pebbles are in-between  the 3/4" lines, where the flying geese met the flower stems.

The ruler in the picture above is the drafting ruler that I use for marking.
 For this type of quilting Marking is a must, for me. 
For me basting is a must.
With just a spritz of water the basting dots will disappear.


Sometimes mistakes happen you just have to Unsew :(


Other times Everything comes together, Perfectly.



Moving on to the Borders


For this design Feathers are First the a good filler, I like swirls.

Then I pulled the center lines up and behind the feathers and filler.



This quilt had 2 borders on the top and bottom.
Great for extra quilting:)







Here are a ton of photos once the quilting was completed. 
Enjoy!








Backing is Below


This quilt was great at testing my quilting skills. It was definitely outside my comfort zone, but working outside of our comfort zones is how we grow and become better and stronger.
So go get Outside of Your Comfort Zone and do something Amazing.
❤❤❤
April

Comments

  1. You certainly DID do something amazing! The top, itself, is gorgeous! But the quilting is extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm so glad I was able to quilt this one.

      Delete
  2. This quilt is soooooo beautiful! Love it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think and answer any questions that you may have. If you do not have a Google account you can leave a comment as Anonymous. April

Popular Posts