Compass Quilt


This is the first quilt that I have made for myself, it is also a practice/doodle quilt.


Swirls and Pebbles all over and some Straight lines for a background effect
Leaves and Paislies here and there

Raw Edge Applique for the middle Compass Design made from circles

 I had to add some Feathers too...
I Love to Feather


 This Compass Star is from a tutorial on 
Green Fairy Quilts by Judi Madsen, check her out, her quilting is AMAZING. 

On this part of the quilt I was playing with combining curves and straight lines. 
Sometimes I get an idea in my head and I just have to quilt it out.

This picture is to show you the backside of the feathers on the border. I used the bump bump method, where you backtrack over the top outer edge of the feather, this method worked out okay but I do not like the look of it as much as backtracking on the bottom side of the feather back to the stem, also when coming back to the stem I seem to be more able to keep the curve of the feather. 
How do you feel about this and what type of feather do you like to quilt?


The Back Side

The back is a green linen table cloth that I have had for as long as I can remember, I think it was my great grandmothers. I have always liked the color and wanted to put it to use. Since I have had kids table cloths do not last more than a meal. I am so happy that I was able to put it to use, I had some problems with it puckering but it is one of my favorite pieces and I love the texture too.


If you notice on the top photo on the right side you can see my youngest boy 
Wyatt, snow days are the best.


 A sneak peak of next weeks quilt


Comments

  1. Great Job!

    Best use of the tablecloth, ever. I see pathways to travel around the pebbles exploring the inspired creation. Love it.

    Love the sneak peek to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyatt by your side while creating your art! Reminds me of someone ; )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think and answer any questions that you may have. If you do not have a Google account you can leave a comment as Anonymous. April

Popular Posts