Modern Fans Sew Along

Here it is one of my Favorite quilts, mostly because its all mine. It's quilted a bit differently than most of my other quilts. It's Light Custom Quilted. I love the boldness of it and the simplicity. It is a slight variation of the Modern Fans pattern by Suzy Quilts. This was my first quilt along and I loved it.


Let's talk about the nitty-gritty.
Batting - Quilters Dream Wool (my Favorite)
Thread - So Fine Grey
Rulers - Straight Edge and many different size circle rulers
Pattern - Modern Fans Pattern by Suzy Quilts


Right before this quilt along I was listening to a podcast about quilting that got onto the subject of the colors of mourning. These colors are Black and Mauve for and extended amount of time. They had also mentioned that the grieving dress period was for so long that someone else would die and they would have to go back to black. Which meant that they were always in a stage of grieving. 

I thought it would be a beautiful combination of colors for a quilt. Sometimes inspiration comes in the oddest way.


Piecing the curves. 

I had so many different layouts




And I final choose Big Circle Little Circle


On the frame and ready to quilt.


With Chalk, I tested out many different quilting designs.


The design below is what I went with. Some of the other quilting in the background is irregular. You can see this in some of the pictures below.


Testing out the different size circles. Notice that the circles are also irregularly quilted.


My Idea for this quilt was to have the background lay flat and the Circles to POP. This means that the quilting is about an inch apart in the black and 2"-3" apart in the circles.


This picture below shows how the quilting is unique. This did happen first by mistake and I loved how it looked so I continued to repeat it throughout the whole quilt.


This fabric was what I used for the binding.


I love the stripe effect




To stitch the binding down I used a big stitch with a thick thread.


Take Care of Yourself and make it a Wonderful day.
Lots of Love
April

Comments

Popular Posts