The STUFF we never talk about, but should.


I recently volunteered to quilt this quilt.
This was not just any charity quilt this was a quilt with a story.
I hope the story is accurate but if it isn't please add to the story in the comments below.
This quilt was made by Diane Eaton for her family it's an Irish Chain. Our Longarm guild quilted five small quilts for her grandchildren and this is one of four queen size quilt tops she made for her daughters. Once she had pieced these quilt tops together, she passed on and never had the chance to quilt them. She had a wonderful friend in the quilting community that has helped complete these quilts for her family. This person is Kathy Garringer if you live anywhere near NWA you know her. She fills the room with brightness. She is a person I look up to, a teacher, a giver, and is envolved in every quilting group I can think of. She gives her time to middle school kids and shares her love of quilting with them and everyone she crosses.
💗💙💚💛💜 to Kathy

Below is the quilt that Kathy Quilted.

Image may contain: indoor
So, Sorry that I don't have more pictures of the other quilts. If you have any send them to me and I will get them on this post.

So, I've been thinking as I have been working on one of Diane's quilts. What will happen to my quilting "madness" of stuff when I die? I can only hope for a daughter in law that will properly donate/sale/quilt my insane amount of quilting stuff.



Stuff is what they will call it after we are dead.
They will say "WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH ALL THIS STUFF????"

I promise someone will say this.

How can we make our stuff more valuable to our family members?
I think by teaching them.

Showing them how to make something that will comfort them from scraps of fabric.
Showing them how to put love into a quilt and then give it to someone else, that will hopefully cherish it. 

Now, this also goes beyond Quilting.
What will we leave behind?
What memories will your loved ones have of you?
What Stories will they tell?

I think it all comes down to TIME
Time that we spend with the ones that we love.

I often feel pulled in so many different directions. Family, Homeschool, Housework, Farmwork, Home Renovations, Work (thank goodness that is quilting), and all the other things that come up last minute.
How do you keep these things in order and at the same time be a compassionate Mother, Wife, and Daughter?
These questions will most likely consume my thoughts for a very long time.


I have a drive to quilt but also I am determined to raise my boys up with a loving mother that is there to answer the little questions. So, one day they will come to me with the big ones. To treat them as a person, not someone that is along for my ride only. I want to be there for their ride too.
I also want to quilt 24/7.
Dividing time without feeling that I am loosing out. Loosing out on Quilting, on being a good Mother, a Wife.
You do notice Quilting was the first one.


Quilting keeps me happy, motivated, creative and keeps me going. If I had not found quilting I think that I would not be as patient as I am on most days. Quilting takes up a ton of my time but it also soothes my soul. 

So who is your quilting person?
Who will come to your home after you have died and help your family sort through all of your "STUFF" and finish UFOs for your family? While they are doing this, what stories will they tell?

With a ton of Love to you and your family from mine.
April

Comments

  1. I often wonder this myself. My daughter has no interest in sewing, but I'm trying to teach my granddaughter when I do get some times with her. She's into a lot of things so sewing isn't at the top of her list. I just hope she will want to continue at some point.
    My daughter does know the value of my machines, and she's good at finding out if she didn't. I just want someone to have it that will use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother was a quilter and at 5 taught me how to sew. I didn't pick it up again until 25 years later and she had passed away by then. You never know what seed you will plant and what the future will hold.

      Delete
  2. We need to have some sort of way to pass the passion on or at least pass on the idea of our passion for quilting and appreciation for the time and energy each project took. It is wonderful when we can teach other family members to quilt. It was so wonderful reading about the generosity of quilters to help a fellow quilter's family enjoy what she made by completing her projects. Definitely a wonderful bunch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think and answer any questions that you may have. If you do not have a Google account you can leave a comment as Anonymous. April

Popular Posts